|© Force India
SILVERSTONE, England -- Force India unveiled its new challenger for the 2013 season at Silverstone on Friday, with Paul di Resta on hand to take the car for a quick spin around the famous British circuit, in hope of momentous results this year.
The Scot, still waiting to find out the identity of his teammate this year, was joined by deputy team principal Bob Fernley to present the VJM06 in the pit lane.
“It’s the first time I’ve seen it (the car) all together and it looks very sharp. I’m feeling very positive and hope to get a good feeling of it next week,” said di Resta. “We need to start stronger than we have done in the past couple seasons and I think we need score more points early on.”
After finishing last year strongly, particularly at the season-finale Brazilian Grand Prix where the team led 30 laps of the race, Fernley was confident that the team could hit the ground running at the first outing in Melbourne next month.
“I would very much like to think that we can start where we finished. I think we should certainly be looking at knocking on the door of the podiums again which, we missed out last year and that would I think finish off our first five year programme perfectly,” said the Englishman.
Aesthetically, the most obvious change to the new Force India was the decision to scrap the much criticised ‘stepped nose’. Technical director Andrew Green believed that there was an aerodynamic benefit to be had by having the ‘vanity panel’, an optional cover which has been introduced in the regulations.
“It may have only been very small but for us it was a clear net advantage, so we took it. It never inspired us as a concept and by putting the panel over the top it, it tidied up some nasty features on top of the chassis which we weren’t happy with,” Green said.
The car will be taken to Jerez for pre-season testing on February 5 with the following test in Barcelona to be used primarily to gain an understanding of the new Pirelli tyres, Green revealed.