Security of F1 to be boosted after blasts in Bahrain
|Bahraini Crown Prince Sheik Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa waves to supporters prior to the start of the Bahrain GP last year © AP Photo/Luca Bruno
Bahrain has vowed to step up security ahead of next weekend's Grand Prix after a series of explosions, including a gas cylinder blast that set a car ablaze in the Gulf nation's financial district.
The attacks caused no injuries and limited damage, but sent a message that anti-government militants could step up violence before Sunday's Formula 1 race, the premier international event in the kingdom.
Bahrain has been racked by more than two years of unrest between the Sunni-led government and majority Shiites seeking a greater political voice.
The Interior Ministry said the four blasts happened in quick succession on Sunday evening, ending with the gas canister explosion inside a stolen car in the Financial Harbour.
Bahrain said it will provide "adequate" security to protect fans and F1 teams.
Want to be the fastest to lap up F1 content? ‘Follow’ us on TWITTER and ‘like’ us on FACEBOOK.