Sao Paulo says it will keep F1 at least until 2020

© AP, 12 April 2014
© AP Photo/Felipe Dana

Sao Paulo officials say the city has signed a deal to continue hosting Formula One's Brazilian Grand Prix until at least 2020.

The city said the contract was signed Friday with representatives of auto racing's world governing body FIA and race promoters. It said the deal can be extended for another five years.

Sao Paulo's contract with F1 was set to end this year.

Although Interlagos is a popular track for drivers, teams had been complaining that it was too outdated.

Officials said more than $70 million will be spent to fully renovate the track before next year's Brazilian GP. This year's race is Nov. 9.

Among the requests made by F1 officials is an entirely new area for the pits and paddock. The circuit will also be entirely repaved.

 

Want to be the fastest to lap up F1 content? ‘Follow’ us on TWITTER and ‘like’ us on FACEBOOK.


COMMENTS